Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My HEA With Cherise Sinclair's BDSM Books




I have a confession to make... I don't usually read contemporary BDSM Club books.

I'm not talking about the books where the hero belongs to some kind of sex club you never actually see in the story. I'm talking about the full out sex club books where at least half the story is in the club. Those are the ones I don't usually read. No specific reason, I just don’t. And even more, I wasn't planning on reading Cherise Sinclair's club books. 

*Gasp,Outrage* WHAT?!

I know, pure insanity. What was I thinking? I love other contemporary BDSM books. I've read plenty of club books in historical settings, but I never really got into the contemporaries.

Until Cherise Sinclair.

Months ago I had downloaded StarlightRite (sci-fi) and Master of the Mountain (not set in club) to start me off and see how it went. Like a first date I enjoyed Starlight Rite and wanted to see more of Ms.Sinclair. One thing led to another and Master of the Mountain kept getting bumped down my TBR list.

Then My Leige of Dark Haven (very much in the club) went on sale right when I was between books. There is so much hype about these books. Have you read the reviews? Everyone loves them. I for one was intrigued and wanted to know what all the hoopla was about and so I figured I'd read it, why not?

I'll tell you why not! These books are ambrosial morsels of decadence so addicting one is not enough. 

Ms.Sinclair's strikingly intelligent writing with well drawn out characters and thoroughly stirring scenes of domination and submission have me hooked. She even has a word of warning in her Author's Note at the beginning of her books. If you've read my blog you know how I feel about warnings. I get all tingly inside. 

She might as well have pulled my hair and slapped my ass.

I tried to pace myself. I was even doing a good job of it until I hit book #3 of the Shadowlands. From there I went into a reading frenzy. I binged hard and I started checking Amazon hourly last Sunday to see if they'd posted #7 This Is Who I Am, yet. I had withdraw trimmers, it was ugly.

I've now gone over my book budget obtaining all of her books and my husband doesn't remember what my face looks like with out a kindle in front of it. Well, to be fair there may have been some breaks so he could paddle my ass in admonishment for ignoring him. 

#iheatfunishment 

But seriously, a U-Haul with my things will be at her place on Tuesday. I'm in love with Cherise Sinclair.

I can't say whether or not she writes an authentic BDSM club scene for today's clubs since I've honestly never been to one. This may be a utopian ideal of what club life should be. That is part of what makes these books so enticing. The other part as I mentioned before are her characters.

Cherise Sinclair writes savvy intelligent heroines that haven't been entirely awakened to their full sexual potential. Her heroes are the ideal mature Doms with an ingrained sixth sense when it comes to people and sex. They set an example of how BDSM with a new partner should be. They push boundaries while building trust, always offering reassurance but not too much.

I've seen other authors try to write the reassuring Dom with disastrous results. No one wants a wussy namsy-pamsy Dom, and I want my heroine to be reassured not smothered. We the reader need at least a little sense of being helpless. 

Writing an alpha male that takes complete control but extols virtues, a persona with mass appeal, and isn't in any way an asshole is tough. Nearly impossible. Finding the right mix is a talent that should be commended. I applaud you Cherise Sinclair.

I want to have Xavier's babies. 

If you've read Cherise Sinclair before you know she's fabulous, if you haven't you may not know where to begin. She has so many books it may feel intimidating. They all sound so good but maybe one will look more intriguing than another. I just happened to start the club books with My Liege of Dark Haven, which is actually more of a last or middle of a series type of book. (I know there are more to come)

My Liege of Dark Haven comes after Master of the Mountain, Dom of Dark Haven, Master of the Abyss and Doms of Dark Haven 2. And yes, starting with Master of the Mountain, that is their order.

I can tell you as someone who started the series out of order it didn't mess up the flow, nor did I feel confused at any point. There are plenty of characters from the other books in My Liege of Dark Haven, but it in no way put me off. If anything it made me feel more intrigued to read the other books. And read them I did.

Even the Doms of Dark Haven books which are anthologies featuring stories from Sierra Catwright and Belinda McBride, as well as Cherise Sinclair. I rarely read anthologies and I have some irrational feelings about shifters which is Ms. McBrides forte but I enjoyed them just the same. It was fun seeing how the ladies interwove their stories and gave a taste of what Ms. Catwright and McBride are cooking. Just that taste had me wanting more from both of those ladies.

Cherise Sinclair's most popular series readers love is her Shadowland books starting with Club Shadowlands. Each book is better than the last and I tell you now it wont matter where you start, you will want to read them all.

Breaking Free (Shadowlands #3) was my favorite of this series, followed closely by To Command and Collar (Shadowlands #6). After book #4 the plots take on a huge story line that is interwoven and continues through out book #5-7. I would suggest those in order.


No matter what book you start with, be sure to stock up on batteries and/or multivitamin and sports drinks for you and your significant other. Your tingly bits are going to be inspired. 

Spanking New Release!
 Shadowlands #7, Master Sam's story This Is Who I Am


I'm burning through it now. I had to pull myself out of a book fog in order to post this. FYI, I'm going to go out on a limb and say This Is Who I Am is set up in such a way a new reader could read it first and not feel lost.

I'm already eager for my favorite trainee Sally's book, which will be (Shadowlands #8). Okay, so I've been eager for her book for a while. I knew by book #4 if Sally got a hero it would be a twofer. I knew by book #5 who she was going to be paired with. ; )

I'm also a HUGE DeVries/ Lindsey fan ( from Dark Haven Series) so I was thrilled to see Ms. Sinclair is going to be giving them a book. I think I may get whipped for saying this, but DeVries may actually be my favorite sadist. He's so scary. I love scary. 

For more on Cherise Sinclair and all of her wonderful reads check out www.cherisesinclair.com and you can also find her on FB @ Cherise Sinclair.



Thank You Cherise Sinclair!!!


* * * *

So tell me, who are your favorite Cherise Sinclair characters?



No comments:

Post a Comment