Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Not So Cliche FemDom




I had a completely new experience. I read a FemDom book...

I'm not into this particular kink yet when I stumbled upon this book I was genuinely excited. Ever since I read Promise by Allyson Young, which has some role switch play, I've been curious as to what it would be like to read about an actual FemDom love story that isn't with two women.

I've read the stories where a female sub of a man is a top to another woman. I've also read many main secondary characters that are FemDoms with a female sub.

I've been reading my way through all of Cherise Sinclairs books (which are rocking my world and I will talk about in a week or two) and they are mainly in a club setting. With her books you get the full scope of the BDSM club environment, with interaction with the other Doms and subs, and I've noticed a few of Dommes with male subs. 

I had decided I wanted to read about those intriguing Domme/m-sub couples but I had no idea where to start. Plus, I actually have some mental hang ups where FemDoms are concerned.

At the risk of sounding like a complete twat hat I'm going to be honest. When I thought of Dommes I thought of the cliché sadist dominatrix in head to toe patent leather with riding crop in hand, yelling in German. 

Well, okay, that is kind of their look.

I had to push past my hangups and misconceptions that I knew where wrong but I still couldn't wrap my head around. 

First, just like there are different degrees of male Doms there are different degrees of FemDoms. Not all the Dommes want to crush nuts and make all the boys cry. 

The softer side of the Domme.

Second, I've always understood a women topping another women. I could even understand how a man would want to be topped by a women but I couldn't understand, could never wrap my head around, a woman topping a man. Not to the level beyond play. Not without something being mentally wrong with her.

I know, that is super close minded and super hypocritical for someone that reads what I enjoy reading.

My head is fully wrapped around the concept now. I get it and the book Still got me there. 

Ann Mayburn's book Still (FemDom Military Romance) (Long Slow Tease 1) is incredible.



Our very typical alpha male Wyatt Callahan is drinking through his PTSD and generally making poor decisions since he's been back from the middle east.

Dr. Michelle Sapphire has been fighting her attraction to Wyatt since they were over in the 'sandbox' together. Besides emotional hang ups where any new relationship is concerned, she is completely into the BDSM lifestyle, she being a natural Domme to her core.

Michelle has been keeping her distance from Wyatt because of these things but that all changes when she's called at three am to make his bail.

Michelle gives Wyatt two choices. She will send him to the best facility there is for PTSD, at her expense, or he can stay with her for at least one month at her ranch with the condition he has to be her sub if he stays.

With nothing to loose and everything to gain Wyatt chooses to stay with Michelle as her sub.

Wyatt isn't a natural sub. He's a super alpha male. This is what makes this story so compelling. I went on quite the journey with Wyatt through this story.

The first half of the story Wyatt is really fighting his natural instinct to take over, and I kept waiting for him to take control. Of course he doesn't because he loves Michelle and is really getting addicted to her topping him. Yet at the same time he's having to come to terms with what being a sub is and what a full time relationship with her would mean.

I was so distraught that Michelle wasn't letting Wyatt's inner Dom out when of course the whole thing is about him finding his inner sub. I was surprised by how moved I was by this story. It really pulled my heart strings while at the same time got me out of a mental box I hadn't even realized I was in. Accepting Wyatt as a sub was really hard for me, but in a good way.

This is a full length read so don't expect to finish it in one sitting and prepare to be addicted. The story has a HEA but it happens with loose ends, since there is a book two Penance (Long Slow Tease 2).

In book two Michelle and Wyatt head out into the world and Michelle is going to expose Wyatt to club life which I don't think he's ready for. I don't think Michelle has prepared him for it at all and I'm dying, dying to read the second book and find out what the hell happens!!!! (I love Wyatt and Michelle)

Warning; This book contains graphic sexual content including, a  women who likes to take control in the bedroom, BDSM with the use of sexual toys, an alpha male with a healthy love of cunnilingus and cock rings and language that may be offensive to some readers. 

Ann Mayburn has a few other dominant heroine books (that I know of). A sci-fi with rave reviews called Breakers Concubine, that I almost read before this one. A paranormal fantasy Princess of Lust, a contemporary Scandalous Wish and a paranormal shifters Amber Wish

Ann Mayburn has an immensely wide variety of BDSM and romance books (all with positive reviews), from m/f to m/m to every mix of menage you can think of. With plenty of female subs as well as male subs Ann Mayburn has something for everyone. 

The settings of her stories range from historical westerns to deep space sci-fi, so if you can't find an Ann Mayburn book you want to read you haven't seen them all. 

I'm glad I went with the full FemDom experience first. Like I said before, it really opened my mind.

I'm not a FemDom. I don't have an inner FemDom and would have been crying and apologizing to Wyatt if I had been the one trying to top him. I think playing the FemDom is fun only when I know I'm going to get over thrown. 

Plus it's easier being a sub and if I had to choose between latex, leather or naked, I'd pick naked (wobbly bits and all) every time. You can't find a material more breathable than naked!

I still really enjoyed this book and there are women out there that don't just want to read about heroines wanting to get topped. I have friends that are toppers and switches that would love this book and more like them.

Kudos to Ann Mayburn for breaking out and giving readers a smorgasbord of well written erotica. 

Ann Mayburn did an amazing job of writing an alpha male sub and a loveable Domme not to mention an overall great love story. I'll be reading a lot more Ann Mayburn in the future and eagerly await the release of Penance (Long Slow Tease 2).


Thank You, Ann Mayburn!!!

For more on Ann Mayburn and her many books please visit her @ www.annmayburn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment