Monday, October 28, 2013

Well I'm Wrecked


Okay, I know you're probably sick of me discussing these books, (this is #3) but I just can't quit them. I wasn't going to post about these books anymore. I've gotten the least page views ever on the weeks I posted about these books, yet I just can't stop talking about them.

 I've said it before and I'll say it again; these books fucking wrecked me. 

Unattainable was unexpectedly rough. Not because of Tegen and Cage, which was also more emotionally intense than I expected. No, the real gut punch to this book comes from Ellie and Dirty's story. I thought I was completely desensitized after Undeniable, but Unattainable is brutal on the senses. 

I can officially say Madeline Sheehan rocks the fucked up love story like no one else. 

Warning: This is not a virtuous and tender love story. It's chaotic, ruthless, and tragic. This story takes love and kills it's innocence, steals away the pure moments, and crushes the hearts of the broken. A story born in childhood, tying one girl to one boy, leads to a destructive path--that hurts more than it doesn't, that shatters more than it heals--testing the love that binds the two through a lifetime. 

Of course we get Tegen and Cage's love story. Tegen is Dorothy's daughter and Cage is Deuces son. They grow up together in the Hell's Horsemen MC, only three years apart in age. Cage, being a chip off the old block, burns his bridges and has to build new ones. Cage has a lot of Deuce's traits but Tegen is an emotional hurricane all of her own. 

Cage is tired and broken down. He's gotten to a stagnant low place in his life and he's done with the bitterness Tegen has wrapped around herself. He takes a pickax to the walls she has built and begins to realize she's everything he's been missing. Tegen comes to realize the MC is her family and she's never had the right to be judging her mom as harshly as she has for years. 

Now, the dark horse of the story, Dirty. We've seen him in the first two books as a very minor character. Besides being outwardly dirty, Dirty is dirty. He only fucks club whores or prostitutes and only after he's dosed them. He can't fuck conscious women. He's the club's Dexter of date rape. Everyone's lovable rapist. 

Yeah, I wasn't sure where Madeline Sheehan was going with him getting his own story until he got his own story and I was all, holy fuck, now that's a story.  Dirty is one messed up dude, and when you find out how messed up and the reasons he's messed up, it's going to wreck you. Ellie and Dirty coming together is ugly pretty. It's as fucking poignant as it is beautiful. I was cheering for them to find the loving healing.

Suffice it to say, this story invoked feelings I myself did not understand. All rational reason flew out the window. I found understanding where there should have been none. I found sexual appeal and attraction where there should have been only disgust. I felt awkward to be experiencing the feelings and understanding I was experiencing for..... well, a rapist. 

Unattainable also gives us glimpses into Dorothy and Hawk's relationship, which has some dark and twisted origins. I don't even want to speculate on what Madeline Sheehan has planned for us in her next story Unbeloved. Nothing is ever cut and dry when you're dealing with the love lives of MC members. 

The only thing that annoyed me, and it's really minute, is Danny going back to being the one dimensional girl all decked out in pink. At the beginning of the story Cage say's he'll never have his bubbly sister back, but that's exactly how she's portrayed for the rest of the story. 

I will say, I got a sense of peace after finishing Unattainable that I didn't get after Unbeautifully. I'm still really looking forward to future books in the series, but I don't feel as desperate and angry about it. 

306 pages

Warning: This book contains violence, drug use, rape, and a whole bunch of other heavy shit not usually conducive to a love story. Reader discretion is advised. 


Thank You Madeline Sheehan!!!

For more on the Undeniable series and other books by Madeline Sheehan, please visit @http://www.madelinesheehan.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment