Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Post Apocalypse E-Reading & Follow Up





Before I get into my follow up, on the books I purchased July 1st, I want to talk about a very important matter.

Reading after an apocalypse.

I've been mentally preparing for an apocalypse, (zombie, alien or otherwise) for years. I don't buy food, batteries or anything useful, I just prioritize my books and those I would take with me in a survival situation.

The thoughts of what to read post apocalypse began after I started a much needed downsizing of my book collection. (and being slightly traumatized  by Cormac MaCarthy) I went through all my books asking myself the question, If I could only take one book, would this be it? 

With that in mind I ended up donating close to 300 books to my local library. I still kept many, but only my favorites. Soon after the downsize I got Princess Buttercup (my Kindle) and that's when the real worrying began.

How will I  charge Princess Buttercup post apocalypse?

Every time I've downloaded a book for the past few years I've inwardly cringed. I have over 400 books in my archives, all lost to me if the power goes out on Earth. Or are they?

I recently discovered Solar Chargers.


Okay, by discover I mean my 65 year old mother told me about solar chargers like they were common knowledge and I've never felt like more of a lame dumb ass. 

I mean, this is the woman who called me in preparation to her 60th birthday wanting to know the best way to go about waxing and shaving her lady parts. I was happy to help but I didn't want to know why she wanted this knowledge. She told me anyways. I wanted to know why even less after she told me. 

My family really has to work on TMI boundaries, but I digress.  

My parents each have their own fancy little solar chargers for on the go charging and outdoorsie vacations. Yes, these things charge every thing from cell phones to e-readers just sitting in the daylight. And they're pretty cute. 


Now I don't know if we'll be able to get a wireless internet signal to retrieve books from archives but at least this way we'll be able to read whatever is currently on our e-readers. In other words, make sure to keep your favorite e-book on your home page at all times.

An apocalypse can happen at any moment and survive or die, I'm going to do it while reading. 


* * * *





Last month I had a super read-a-thon, reading as many of my TBR books as I possibly could. I found some new-to-me authors I enjoyed so much I had to buy more of their stories. Let me tell you, I've started July out with a bang and some great reads that I would like to share with you.


Kallypso Masters : Last month I read Ms.Master's  Masters at Arms, the intro to her Rescue Me (military bdsm) series. I adored it and was hooked.

I also picked up the next book Nobody's Angel for free. I'm going to be honest. I didn't like it. It was meh for me. That's okay because it had the set up for the next book in the series I read and adored, Adam and Karla's story Nobody's Hero. I finished out the series with Nobody's Perfect, Damian and Savi's story which I loved.

Over all a fantastic series albeit emotionally exhausting. They are very involved and set at a pace that keeps you sucked in. I could hardly put these books down (Sans Nobody's Angel) and they're are full length. Nobody's Perfect is 466 pages alone. This made for some late nights. I barely slept.

After all that emotional turmoil I needed something light and playful so I switched gears to....

Seraphina Donavan : Last month I fell in love with the light hearted humor and heat of  Bad Girl Lessons (Gresham County Bk1). I needed that so I read Bad Boy Secrets (Gresham County Bk2). It was just what I needed. I enjoyed it just as much as the first, if anything the sex was even hotter.

Tracy St. John : My all time favorite lady released an updated version of the first book in Clans of Kalquor series Alien Embrace that includes some perfectly placed add-ons and cuts that only enhanced the over all flow of the book.

She also released Alien Conquest's companion story Sister Katherine, which I raved about last week.


Nikita Black : Last month I read Cajun Hot, a fun playful Stolkholm love story about sexy swamp men who kidnap an unsuspecting photojournalist. This book in way prepared me for the awesome sauce that is Slave To Love.

Love, love LOVED this book.

I would like to put glitter, sparkles and runway lights around this cover. Slave To Love is a must read can't miss erotic mystery so warning label worthy. If I could only recommend one book this week Slave To Love would be it. 

This book messed with my head as well as set my panties on fire. Lots of dark fantasies are masterfully played out in Slave To Love, with plenty of unexpected twists and turns. Nikita Black took full advantage of this being an indie book and doesn't play by the standard erotica rules, giving us an outstanding unconventional love story that will keep you guessing till the end. I got goosebumps when I read the last page. Goosebumps. 

I'd explain more but I want it to be surprise. All of it. 

Slave to Love is 316 pages 

Warning: This book contains voyeurism, exhibitionism, BDSM, Master/slave in sexual play, anal play, touching by others not hero, consensual rape fantasy, and use of sex toys. 

You can see more on Slave To Love: http://amzn.com/0977426939

Nikita Black writes mostly romance under the name Nina Bruhns

Thank You Nikita Black!


No comments:

Post a Comment