Monday, August 26, 2013

What Ever Happened To Jenny Penn?



We've all been there. We fall in love with an author or a book that has awesome characters with obvious loose ends. You know in your heart there will be more books and then the author disappears. They fall into the writers abyss. 

Writer's Abyss: When a writer sets up a book or books to be a series/trilogy, mentally planning to write more, only to have life happen, dealing a death blow to the muse. The former author then disappears down the rabbit hole, upsetting the fabric of the universe, and subsequently carrying down with them a chunk of many a reader's soul.




Some authors keep the muse but the muse takes them in a completely different direction. As the reader, this also sucks ass. I think this may be even worse than the writer's abyss because we the reader know the authors are out there somewhere writing. They just aren't writing what we want to read.

I've been seeing this a lot. Some writers get bored and switch genres. Lisa Kleypas went from writing fabulous historical romances to contemporary romance. I like my contemporary extra dirty so I didn't follow. Karen Marie Moning wrote delicious historical/ paranormal romances and switched to urban fantasy with romance elements. It was two years before I tried Fever series. 

I'm not going to lie. I was heartbroken and pissed off. When one of your favorite writers change genres, or disappears, it feels a lot like getting dumped. As the reader you feel an illogical sense of betrayal and abandonment. Finding out an author is human is like watching your hero get his/her ass kicked. You can't ever come back from that.



I get that writing the same type of thing for a decade or few can get stale. Writers are human and many times crave change and the challenge a new genre can offer.  At least these ladies switched over because it was what they desire to be writing the most. And they are still writing.

My soul mourns a few writers who have fallen into the abyss. I know I'm not the only one who wonders what happened to Morgan Hawke and is sad we'll never see Thorne get a prime of his own. I can name quite a few authors and books that left characters hanging in the balance.

I've started reading author bios before reading a book to judge whether or not it's advisable to get emotionally attached.  The free spirit, "I've done a little bit of everything", bio is a HUGE RED FLAG.

 Free Spirits: 
great in bed but has commitment issues

If you see this bio, know that at any moment, that writer may take up macrame and start traveling to different fairs and street markets to sell it before going back to school to be a marine biologist.

One such writer is Jenny Penn. I enjoyed many of her books but it wasn't until I read her first two Cattleman's Club books that I fell in love. The fact is I adored her heroines as much if not more than her heroes. Jenny Penn's dialog is full of quick smart ass and sassy quips, along with emotionally charged gut punches, that really brought her characters to life.

What I thought she was going to write before she disappeared?

Brett and Mike's story. They are Hailey's brothers. Hailey being Patton's best friend and the heroine of Cattleman's Club Book 2. Brett and Mike are mentioned twice in Patton's Way Book 1 and we meet them in Hailey's Game Book 2. They've been gone something like seven years, traveling in the Marines.

Also, there is a waitress (I forget her name) at the popular Bread Box diner, who we meet in book two, that just so happens to have a son whose age correlates with how long Brett and Mike have been gone. No one in town knows who the child's daddy is, and there is speculation why such a young pretty woman doesn't date.

I really thought this was going to be a story, and I was kind of looking forward to it, so I'm sad that story may never be written. With that being said, I adored Patton's Way and Hailey's Game, and I would read them again in a heartbeat, even knowing that Brett, Mike, and the waitress's story may never be told.


Jenny Penn's Patton's Way (Cattleman's Club #1)

Patton is a woman who has got back bone and she refuses to change who she is or turn weak willed woman. While she is devious, and unrepentant about it, the guys wouldn't want her any other way. She's twenty three, she's started her own thriving lingerie line, she's successful and not only does she know what she wants she goes after it until she gets it!

Now what she wants, what she's always wanted is the Davis brothers!

Devin: Youngest at 27 and most playful

Slade: Serious and most rational

Chase: Eldest most domineering 


Patton's always been like a kid sister to the Davis brothers, being raised on their ranch with them. Patton did what she had to do to become her own person with out the guys over protective brotherly ways. Unfortunately Patton achieves this by lying about going to college and perpetuating an air of young innocence.

The beginning of the book is the guys revelations about Patton being a much different woman than the girl they've always seen her as. Then comes the real bomb. The person (Patton) that they've been lusting after for years, has in fact been lusting just as hard for each of them for the past seven years. All of them.

so true


Slade and Devin get behind the idea of making Patton their woman much quicker than the oldest brother Chase. Chase is arrogant and scared of what his domineering ways would do to Patton. They train women to be submissive and have always believed they would need a twenty four seven type of arrangement. 

In the end they find compromises and love is what make a happy 'marriage'.

This book is hot right out the gate. There is humor, high jinx a great story with a wild sassy heroine and three very sexy dominate men. There are scenes that had steam rolling over my eye balls. 

Patton's Way is everything I could hope for in a contemporary menage cowboy book. Besides plenty of hot, panties will be soaked, hot scenes, the thing that keeps bringing me back to read again is the snappy humor. It's very southern and very quick. There are a few places I giggled and laughed out loud.

A word of warning, when I purchased this book there were formatting and editing issues. There was a few pages printed in italic. Once I realized it wasn't a dream sequence it didn't bother me. I'm not sure if this has been rectified or not. 

Honestly, the book could have been written in chicken scratch with a crayon and it wouldn't have changed how much I enjoyed it. I have read and reread it, italic pages and all. 

386pages of three hot ranchers trying to corral one wild filly.

Warning; This book contains (m/f/m/m) bdsm, anal play the use of sex toys, bondage and other deliciously wicked things. 
 Haily's Game Cattleman's Club 2 by Jenny Penn

 I would recommend reading Patton's Way first.

Also please pay no attention to the cover!! Hailey is a hot chubby RED head. And when you read about Kyle and Cole you'll get more of a mental picture of...


this guy, but a smidge older


Hailey is a real woman with real curves and bad days. She rarely dates one guy let alone two. She leaves the craziness of dating multiple men to her best friend Patton. Hailey's an independent stubborn ill tempered tomboy. At times she uses all that to push the guys away. She wants sex with no strings attached but this is more to keep from getting hurt than anything else.

Kyle and Cole are just the guys to break down all those walls Haileys built. I love these guys.

Kyle is the sweetheart that knows from page one he wants a future with Hailey. He's willing to do anything to make sure that happens even cut out his best friend and business partner Cole.

Cole is the redeemable man whore that reforms for love. He knows he wants Hailey but has to get over some of his own fears and past hurts before he can accept how much Hailey really means to him.

There are mixed reviews, but I stand by my love for this book. Hailey is one of my all time favorite heroines because she really reminds me of myself. Also the interactions and dialog between these characters is so playful, real, and full of crazy sexual tension, I don't know how anyone couldn't love them. 

424 pages 

Warning; This book contains (m/f/m) menage, hot cars, great southern guys and a sassy no nonsense gal,light bdsm, anal play the use of sex toys and other deliciously wicked things included.


Thank You Jenny Penn
I hope your muse comes back to you with Mike, Brett, and the waitress's story!!!




For more of Jenny Penn's hot stories please visit her @ http://www.jennypenn.com/

If you, or any one you know, has seen or heard from Jenny Penn please let us know!!!

And because I've spent the last couple of days soaking through multiple panties revisiting the Cattleman's Club books, I searched my naughty file for my most salacious cowboys to share with you. So saddle up ladies and prepare to salivate!

Warning: What you are about to see is not fit for most places of employment. Enjoy!



4 reasons to..

...ride a..


...cow WOW boy!

Yee fucking HAW!


You're Welcome

4 comments:

  1. I miss Morgan Hawke too. I want Kaitlyn O'Connor to write more cyborg stories and Mima to finish her Beast spirit series and expand on her "In Service" book, cause that was seriously hot.
    Now I can read Jenny Penn and pine for her too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are quite a few sci-fi and paranormal authors that switch it up and start writing other things. Breaks my heart every time! I hope you enjoy Jenny Penn!

      Delete
  2. Kaitlyn O'Connor, wish she'd write more cyborg stories as well.

    Received this email this week, maybe we should have you blog about O'Connor's cyborgs:


    Kansas Flame (MFM) by Jenny Penn is now available for pre-order at
    BookStrand.com. View Title

    -------------------------


    KANSAS FLAME (MFM)
    KANSAS HEAT 3
    ============================================================


    By: Jenny Penn | Other books by Jenny Penn
    Categories: Erotic Romance, BDSM, Contemporary, Menage a Trois/Quatre,
    Western/Cowboys
    Word Count: 133,542
    Heat Level: SEXTREME
    Published By: Siren-BookStrand, Inc.



    PRE-ORDER!

    AVAILABLE: Monday, September 9th

    This title is offered at a 15% discount. Offer ends midnight CST, September
    16th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOT WHOOT!! That's awesome. You made my day! I guess she's still out there somewhere writing!

      I haven't read the Kaitlyn O'Connor cyborg books yet. I'll have to check them out. :)

      Thanks for the heads up on the new Jenny Penn!!

      Delete